Hospitals and healthcare facilities need to do everything possible to prevent contagious diseases from spreading. One of the most critical ways they can do this is by providing water that has been treated to kill harmful pathogens such as bacteria and viruses. However, there are other environments in which clean water is an absolute necessity. Hotels, commercial properties, and other buildings where many people congregate are at risk for the growth and proliferation of disease-causing contaminants such as Legionella, the bacteria responsible for Legionnaire’s disease.
Controlling Legionella and other infectious intruders should be a high priority, no matter what type of property you own. In the past, owners and managers were limited in their options, often forced to turn to chlorination and the use of other chemicals to control the levels of Legionella in their water supplies. Not only is this difficult to manage, but it can also lead to its own health risks if not adequately monitored. This is why many facility managers have turned to a more successful alternative: copper-silver ionization.
What is copper-silver ionization?
This process involves distributing ions into a building’s plumbing to kill any pathogens that may be present.
The ions produced by the LiquiTech ionization process are cationic, surface-active, and a potent biocide. The treatment action is attributable to the positively charged copper and silver ions forming electrostatic bonds with negatively charged sites on microorganism cell walls. These electrostatic bonds create stresses that lead to distorted cell wall permeability, disrupting the intake of life-sustaining nutrients and ultimately leading to cell lysis. Bacteria are killed rather than merely suppressed, as with alternative Legionella treatment methods. The accurate dose-rate control system maintains precise ion levels, providing residual protection and prevention of recontamination.
What are the benefits of this process?
Compared to methods that depend on chemicals, copper-silver ionization offers several advantages. These include:
- Safe for consumption: Unlike chlorine and other chemical agents, the ions introduced into the water supply are entirely safe for people. This means it can be used without worrying that the cure will be as bad as the disease. Copper-silver ionization also does not change drinking water’s taste, smell, or color.
- Eco-friendly: Hyperchlorination requires the injection of as many as four parts per million of chlorine to ensure the effectiveness of the process. This means chlorine may be released into the environment when the water leaves the building, potentially causing environmental damage.
- Corrosion-free: Harsh chemicals can cause damage to pipes over the long term. This could lead to leaks and other issues that often mean costly replacements and repairs. Copper-silver ionization does not have the same corrosive effect on plumbing, meaning it can help extend the lifespan of your infrastructure and water-bearing equipment.
- Cost-effective: Because this method does not rely on hazardous consumables, the overall cost of operation is lower. There is no need to store or handle dangerous substances, reducing your risk and overhead.
- Team can act quickly. With remote monitoring in place, including real-time display and alarms, the LiquiTech team and your staff can identify waterborne pathogen risks. The time it takes to respond to problems and mitigate them can be significantly reduced, saving money and lives.
- Easy compliance with industry regulations. Through a partnership with LiquiTech, you can readily accord and comply with local, state, and national laws. Guidelines and codes include but are not limited to the Joint Commission, CMS Mandate, ASHRAE 188, ASPE, ASHE, and IAPMO.
LiquiTech: The experts in copper-silver ionization
As the recognized leader in the application of this technology, LiquiTech is your go-to source for copper silver ionization, as well as many other services related to battling waterborne pathogens. To learn more about what we can do for your facilities, get in touch with us today.